Sunday, June 23, 2013

Summer Classroom (and Bedroom) Organization

So here I am, up really early this morning, and waiting to spend a day at the movies with my boyfriend and all I can think about is what I am going to do with this tower of plastic drawers I have taking up space in my closet.

At my school, the end of the school year results in packing up (practically) your entire room and "removing your personal items".

I fully understand why administration requires us to do so but sometimes I believe that what they ask us to do is a bit counter-intuitive to the process of actually teaching.  When you teach you are required to set up a classroom community, make learning fun and engaging and still get students to master the content standards.  Oh and if they were missing some blocks of foundational knowledge - fill those too.  Let''s not forget about all of the social and emotional growth that is packed into the year as well.  The job is overwhelming, demanding and thankless.

But in between all of that I keep coming back year after year.  I digress.

Anyways, so I pack up my stuff, put some in storage and bring some home.  My own bedroom... full :(.  Up until yesterday I could barely get around most of my stuff, let alone sort it.  So yesterday I pulled it out, started to organize stacks of it.  My boyfriend even helped shred documents that needed shredding :).  It felt good to get rid of a lot of clutter.

But as I'm putting away some hanging items I keep bumping into this 6 drawer plastic storage unit that is taking up a dramatic amount of space in my bedroom.

So here's what I *have* figured out this morning: I want to take it to my classroom and use it there.

1st Drawer:  Grading Pens, Highlighters, etc.

2nd Drawer:  Tape (Scotch Tape, Blue Painters Tape, etc.

3rd Drawer:  Staplers, Paper Clips, Binder Clips,

4th Drawer:  Magnets

5th Drawer:  Not sure

6th Drawer:  Not sure

Any ideas about what I should put into the last 2 drawers?  I guess they should be items that I don't intend to use that often...

No comments: